First United Methodist Church of Lafayette
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Sharing in God's Love through worship, education and outreach.

About Us


History of First UMC of Lafayette

The church was founded in 1894, and moved into its first building in 1901. The Rev. L.W. Wheatley was appointed as the first minister to the FUMC congregation and built the congregation to 49 members. The congregation's first building was located at 211 E. Genesee. Sadly, in 1944, after a large full basement renovation was added to the original building, a severe fire caused extensive damage. The congregation choose to leave their church home and move to new grounds. Construction of a new building began in 1947 and concluded in the fall of 1948. The joys of many marriages, baptisms and life celebrations took place in the church, but after many years, this building, too, held its constraints. In 1999, the congregation moved into its current building at 1255 Centaur Village Drive. Our current pastor is the Rev. Kerry A. McCormick, who joined us on July 1, 2016.  

Brief History of the United Methodist Church

The United Methodist Church is a Methodist Christian denomination which is both mainline and evangelical. It traces its roots back to the holiness revival movement of John and Charles Wesley within the Anglican Church. As such, the church's theological orientation is decidedly Wesleyan. It contains both liturgical and evangelical elements. In the United States, it ranks as the largest mainline denomination, the second largest Protestant church after the Southern Baptist Convention, and the third largest Christian denomination. As of 2007, worldwide membership was about 12 million: 8.0 million in the United States and Canada, 3.5 million in Africa, Asia and Europe. It is a member of the World Council of Churches, the World Methodist Council, and other religious associations. For more information see (